These are the best Harry Potter pumpkin pasties! They have pumpkin shaped buttery crusts filled with a sweet pumpkin filling. These are just like what the trolley witch serves on the Hogwarts Express! Harry Potter fans everywhere will love this pumpkin pasties recipe!
If you've always wanted a pumpkin pasty from the trolley cart, now is your chance! These easy pumpkin pasties will have you thinking you've stepped into the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. They're perfect for a Harry Potter Movie marathon or Harry Potter themed party. While these are a perfect treat for pumpkin season, you can enjoy these year round whenever you're looking for extra magic! (Even if you're not a Harry Potter fan, these are basically just pumpkin hand pies and they are perfect for fall and Thanksgiving!)
If you've read all the Harry Potter books and are looking for other Harry Potter inspired desserts, try my butterbeer cupcakes, butterbeer cookies, sorting hat cupcakes, pumpkin juice or butterbeer cake!
Why You'll Love These Homemade Pumpkin Pasties
They're easy to make. Store bought pie crust saves so much time. You can whip these up in no time!
They're so cute. These are basically mini pumpkin pies shaped like little pumpkins!
They're extra fun. It's always so fun to bring the Harry Potter series to life by making a treat talked about in the books!
They're delicious! They're made with flaky pie crust, a sweet and creamy pumpkin filling and they're sprinkled with lots of spiced sugar.
Ingredients for Harry Potter-Inspired Pumpkin Pasties
- Pie Dough- we're using pre-made pie crusts for convenience, but feel free to use a homemade pie crust recipe
- Cream Cheese- make sure it's room temperature
- Brown Sugar- used to sweeten the filling
- Cornstarch- used to thicken the filling
- Pumpkin Puree- make sure it's puree not pumpkin pie filling
- Pumpkin Pie Spice- adds warm fall flavor to these pumpkin pasties
- Eggs- used in the filling and for the egg wash
- Vanilla- adds a sweet note to the filling
- Heavy Cream- makes the filling extra creamy
- Granulated White Sugar- used for the spiced sugar topping
- Turbinado Sugar- adds a little extra crunch on top
Step by Step Instructions
STEP ONE: Add the cream cheese, brown sugar and cornstarch to a large bowl. Mix with an electric mixer on high speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes.
STEP TWO: Add in the pumpkin puree, egg yolk, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice and heavy cream. Mix on medium speed until smooth.
STEP THREE: Roll out the 2 pie crusts and cut 20 mini pumpkins out using a 4" pumpkin cookie cutter. (You will need to re-roll each pie crust to get all 20.) Transfer 10 of the pumpkins to parchment paper lined baking sheets (5 per each.)
STEP FOUR: Add 1 heaping tablespoon of pumpkin pie filling on the center of 10 of the pumpkins. (Be careful not to use too much filling so the pumpkins don't leak while baking.)
STEP FIVE: Use a pastry brush to brush the edges with egg wash and place another pumpkin over top of each. Press the edges shut with a fork and cut a small lightning bolt into the center of each. Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes. Brush the tops with egg wash. Combine the granulated sugar and pumpkin pie spice in a small bowl, then sprinkle each pumpkin with the spiced sugar and a little bit of turbinado sugar.
STEP SIX: Bake and then let cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool until cool enough to handle, about 15 more minutes.
Do I really have to chill the formed pumpkin pasties before baking? Yes, this ensures that the dough stays in tact and the filling doesn't leak out while baking.
Can I use homemade pie crust? Yes! Baking time may be different though. Start with 17 minutes and add time until they're a light golden brown color.
Can I use puff pastry instead? Yes, absolutely. Baking time may be different though. Bake until golden brown on top and puffy.
Can I use homemade pumpkin puree? Yes, absolutely.
How do I store these? Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to four days
Do I have to cut the dough into pumpkins? No. You can cut the dough into circles, or really any other shape. To keep baking times the same, I recommend sticking with the same size cookie cutter, 4 inches.
Make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature. This will allow it to more easily mix with the brown sugar and ensure there are no lumps in your filling.
Serve the pumpkin pasties with pumpkin juice for the ultimate Harry Potter experience!
If you make these pumpkin pasties please leave a star rating, it's so helpful for me! Tag me on Instagram @inbloombakery_ and TikTok @inbloombakery so I can see as well! Follow me on Pinterest for other dessert ideas!
Other Recipes to Try Next Time
For the Pumpkin Pasties
- 2 pie crusts, store bought or homemade
- 3 oz (85 g) cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup (73 g) brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon (5 g) cornstarch
- ¾ cup (183 g) canned pumpkin puree, at room
- 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) heavy cream
For the Egg Wash & Sugar Topping
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup (50 g) granulated white sugar
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- turbinado sugar, for sprinkling
For the Pumpkin Pasties
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the cream cheese, brown sugar and cornstarch to a large bowl. Mix with an electric mixer on high speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes.3 oz (85 g) cream cheese, softened, ⅓ cup (73 g) brown sugar, 2 teaspoon (5 g) cornstarch
- Add in the pumpkin puree, egg yolk, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice and heavy cream. Mix on medium speed until smooth.¾ cup (183 g) canned pumpkin puree, at room , 1 egg yolk, at room temperature, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, 1 tablespoon (15 ml) heavy cream
- Roll out the 2 pie crusts on a lightly floured surface and cut 20 mini pumpkins out using a 4" pumpkin cookie cutter. You will need to re-roll each pie crust to get all 20. (You should be able to cut 10 out of each pie crust.)2 pie crusts, store bought or homemade
- Transfer 10 of the pumpkins to the prepared baking sheets. (5 per each.)
- Add 1 heaping tablespoon of pumpkin pie filling on the center of the 10 pumpkins on the baking sheets. (There will be a little bit of filling leftover.)
- Use a pastry brush to brush the edges with egg wash and place another pumpkin over top of each. Press the edges shut with a fork and cut a small lightning bolt into the center of each. Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.1 egg, beaten
Baking the Pumpkin Pasties
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees while the pumpkin pasties chill.
- Combine the granulated sugar and pumpkin pie spice in a small bowl.¼ cup (50 g) granulated white sugar, ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Remove one of the cookie sheets of pumpkin pasties from the fridge and brush the tops with egg wash. Then sprinkle each pumpkin with the spiced sugar and a little bit of turbinado sugar.turbinado sugar, for sprinkling, 1 egg, beaten
- Bake for 17-19 minutes, or until lightly golden brown. Then let the pumpkin pasties cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool until cool enough to handle, about 15 more minutes.
- Repeat the steps with the remaining cookie sheet of pumpkin pasties.
Leave a Reply