This pumpkin bread is super moist, full of delicious pumpkin spice flavor and chocolate chips. It's the best pumpkin bread recipe you'll ever bake!
Why You'll Love this Pumpkin Bread
It's packed full of fall flavor. To me, making pumpkin bread signifies that fall is here! This pumpkin bread is spiced with all the fall flavors! It uses pumpkin pie spice, a mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice and cloves, to bring all the warm fall flavors to this quick bread.
Super easy to make. This recipe is straight forward and simple. Mix your wet ingredients together, add in your dry and finally mix in chocolate chips. You can whip this up and have it baking in 15 minutes or less!
It has the best texture. This pumpkin bread is super moist without being dense. Each bite will melt in your mouth.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Bread
- Butter- make sure it is softened
- Flour- all purpose flour gives the pumpkin bread the best texture
- Sugar- granulated sugar is used to sweeten the pumpkin bread
- Eggs- make sure they're room temperature
- Vanilla- as always I recommend vanilla bean paste for the best flavor
- Pumpkin- canned pumpkin puree will be used (not pumpkin pie filling)
- Buttermilk- helps to make the bread super moist
- Baking soda-leavens the bread and helps give it its perfect texture
- Chocolate chips- optional, but goes so well with the pumpkin
- Pumpkin pie spice- a mixture of cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, ginger and cloves bring warm fall flavors to this pumpkin bread
Step by Step Instructions
STEP ONE: Cream butter and granulated sugar together with an electric mixer.
STEP TWO: Add in eggs and vanilla and mix for 1-2 minutes until pale in color and fluffy.
STEP THREE: Then mix in the canned pumpkin puree and buttermilk.
STEP FOUR: In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt.
STEP FIVE: Then add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine.
STEP SIX: Finally mix in the chocolate chips.
STEP SEVEN: Pour the batter into a greased 9x5 loaf pan and bake for 65-70 minutes at 350 degrees.
See recipe below for full measurements.
Do I have to use chocolate chips? No you definitely don't have to add the chocolate chips! You can leave them out or use nuts instead!
Can I use fresh pumpkin puree? I've only tested this recipe with canned pumpkin so I can't say for sure that it would bake the same. Fresh pumpkin puree tends to be more liquidy so I would suggest using less of it if trying.
How long will it stay fresh for? It'll stay fresh for up to four days in an air tight container.
Make sure that all the wet ingredients are room temperature for the best textured bread!
Let the pumpkin bread completely cool before serving for the best flavor.
Sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top once it's done baking to add even more chocolatey goodness and for decoration!
Other recipes to try:
The Best Pumpkin Bread
For the Pumpkin Bread
- 1 ¾ cups (219 g) all purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (112 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ¼ cup (250 g) granulated white sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup (244 g) canned pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup (180 ml) buttermilk, at room temperature
- ½ cup (100 g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the Pumpkin Bread
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk the all purpose flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt together.1 ¾ cups (219 g) all purpose flour, spooned and leveled, 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice, 1 teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and granulated sugar together with an electric mixer on high speed until fluffy, 1-2 minutes.½ cup (112 g) unsalted butter, softened, 1 ¼ cup (250 g) granulated white sugar
- Then add in the eggs and vanilla and mix for 1 minute on medium-high speed until pale in color.2 eggs, at room temperature, 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Then add in the canned pumpkin puree and buttermilk and mix until combined.1 cup (244 g) canned pumpkin puree, ¾ cup (180 ml) buttermilk, at room temperature
- Then add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine.
- Then mix in the chocolate chips.½ cup (100 g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake the pumpkin bread for 65-70 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center with only a few crumbs on it.
- Once it is finished baking, let it cool in the pan completely on a cooling rack. (Sprinkle extra chocolate chips over the bread after it's been out of the oven to 15 minutes if you wish.)
- Once the bread is completely cooled remove it from the pan, slice it and serve!
- Store the bread in an air tight container for up to four days.