These are the best chocolate cake donuts! These fluffy donuts are super moist, packed full of chocolate flavor and are topped with a rich chocolate glaze.
These delicious chocolate cake donuts are sure to satisfy every chocolate lovers chocolate cravings!
Why You'll Love These Chocolate Donuts
Super simple to make- They take under 30 minutes to make, and don't require a mixer! They are also baked instead of fried so you don't have to mess with hot oil and the whole frying process!
Extra chocolatey- They're flavored with Dutch process cocoa powder and dipped in chocolate glaze to give them a deep chocolate flavor.
Super moist-These chocolate cake doughnuts use sour cream and whole milk to make them extra rich and give them a moist crumb.
Ingredients for Chocolate Homemade Donuts
- Butter- melted butter adds the best flavor and moisture to these donuts that you really can't replicate with vegetable oil
- Sugar- granulated sugar is used to sweeten the donuts
- Eggs- make sure they're room temperature
- Milk- I recommend using whole milk for the best flavor, make sure it's room temperature
- Sour Cream- makes the muffins extra moist, make sure it's room temperature
- Vanilla- as always I recommend vanilla bean paste for the best flavor, but vanilla extract works just fine as well
- Flour- we're using all purpose flour for the best "crumb"
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder- we're using Dutch process cocoa powder, it gives the donuts a rich, dark chocolate flavor
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda- used to leaven the donuts and give them their fluffy texture
- Salt- used to bring out all the flavors
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips- used to make the chocolate glaze
- Coconut Oil- used in the glaze
Chocolate Donut Recipe Step by Step
STEP ONE: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Then set aside the flour mixture.
STEP TWO: In a large bowl, mix together the melted butter, sugar, eggs, milk, sour cream and vanilla.
STEP THREE: Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
STEP FOUR: Transfer the donut bater to a piping bag.
STEP SIX: Spray 1 or 2 doughnut pans with cooking spray. Pipe the batter into the greased donut pan until each well is three-quarters full.
STEP SEVEN: Bake the donuts then let them cool in the pan for 2 minutes. Then gently turn the pan upside down to transfer the donuts to a cooling rack or wire rack.
STEP EIGHT: Add the chocolate chips and coconut oil to a double boiler over medium heat. Heat until everything is melted together. Then transfer to a shallow, small bowl for easier dipping.
STEP NINE: Dip each donut in the chocolate glaze. Place them in the fridge to allow the glaze to set. Sprinkle the top of each donut with chocolate shavings, then serve!
See recipe for complete measurements and baking time.
Can I use regular cocoa powder instead of Dutch process cocoa powder? Absolutely. I just prefer Dutch process because it has a stronger chocolate flavor than regular cocoa powder.
Can these donuts be fried? No, this recipe is specifically for baked chocolate doughnuts.
How do I store these donuts? Store the donuts in an airtight container or Ziploc bag for up to three days.
Can these be gluten-free donuts? I have not tested this recipe with gluten-free flour, but if you try it let me know how they come out!
Can these be made into donut holes? If you have a donut hole baking pan, sure! (You could also use a mini muffin pan.) Cooking time will be different, start with 8 minutes and add more time as necessary.
Measure your flour properly. This is always my #1 baking tip. Do not ever scoop a measuring cup into your flour. This will always lead to using too much flour. Instead sprinkle spoonfuls of flour into your measuring cup and swipe excess flour off with the back of a knife. Or better yet, weigh your flour. 1 cup of flour equals 125 grams.
Make sure all the wet ingredients are at room temperature. The donuts will bake the best and have the best texture when the wet ingredients are room temperature instead of cold.
Other Delicious Treats to Try
Double Chocolate Donuts
For the Chocolate Donuts
- 1 ¾ cups (219 g) all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- ½ cup (40 g) Dutch process cocoa powder
- 2 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (112 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup (120 ml) whole milk, at room temperature
- ½ cup (122 g) sour cream, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
For the Chocolate Glaze
- 12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- chocolate shavings (for topping)
For the Donuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a donut pan with non stick spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Then set aside.1 ¾ cups (219 g) all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, ½ cup (40 g) Dutch process cocoa powder, 2 ½ teaspoon baking powder, ¼ teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, mix together the melted butter, sugar, eggs, milk, sour cream and vanilla.½ cup (112 g) unsalted butter, melted, 1 cup (200 g) granulated white sugar, 2 large eggs, at room temperature, ½ cup (120 ml) whole milk, at room temperature, ½ cup (122 g) sour cream, at room temperature, 2 teaspoon vanilla
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Transfer the donut bater to a piping bag.
- Pipe the batter into the greased donut pan until each well is three-quarters full.
- Bake the donuts for 12 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the centers.
- Let them cool in the pan for 2 minutes. Then gently turn the pan upside down to transfer the donuts to a cooling rack. Cool the donuts completely.
For the Chocolate Glaze
- Add the chocolate chips and coconut oil to a double boiler over medium heat. Heat until everything is melted together.12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Dip each donut in the chocolate glaze and return them to the wire rack. Place in the fridge to allow the glaze to set. Sprinkle the top of each donut with chocolate shavings, then serve!chocolate shavings (for topping)